Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Why redesign your website

I launched my first site SuperTips back in 1998, offering tips, information and advice about Internet marketing.

I've often said that if I were to begin again there is no way I would have such a site !

Why ?

Well, these days everyone has a site about Internet marketing and how to make money on the Net. The topic is much too general and extremely competitive.

So I wanted to redesign my site to show what is now my main focus - and that is having niche sites and books. In particular I wanted to bring together my main ebooks scattered over various sites and have their ecovers showing on the main page.

But a problem.

These cover images would have made the page very large in size and slow to access for dial-up visitors.

The solution ?

I asked around - at forums of course - for advice about acceptable page size and how to reduce image size. And I found a tool which did the job - for free.

Now what to do with that old page.

Here is what it looked like before

I've taken the core of it, removed unproductive links, and moved it down a peg so it is now accessible from the new home page, which is here

As you can see - much more focussed, with links just to the key areas of my business.

Maybe it's time for you to ask the question

'What is the real purpose of my site ?' and redesign it accordingly.

By the way, there's a fascinating site which contains archives of sites (maybe even yours) showing how they have changed over the years.

No comments: