Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Why Use Stylesheets for your website

CSS (Cascading style sheets) enable you to use a common design format across your web site with greater control over all the HTML elements.

For example you can declare that all the main headings are a certain font, size and color: then you simply change that one declaration if you want to change the format of all the headings on your site.

Some time ago I took the plunge and rewrote a huge chunk of my site supertips.com (some 70 pages) to use CSS.

One immediate visual benefit was the smooth flow as I clicked from page to page and saw the same layout, color and format for headings and text compared to the previous assortment of different size headings and sub-headings.

The HTML code is now so simple that I no longer use a web design program to make changes to my pages - I just use a text editor (NoteTab)

Here are two indispensable free tools which helped me

  • 1. W3C CSS Validation Service
  • 2. TidyGui

No comments: